rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Power of a Testimony to Those That Believe

One of my favorite Bible scriptures is Romans 1:16. It's there that the apostle Paul writes, "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to those that believe...."

The other day at work I was sharing a testimony to one of "those that believe" of something that God did for Crystal & I earlier that day. Now, this guy is a believer, however, he's not a follower. There is a difference!! A believer is someone who believes in God, believes that Jesus is the Christ, however, he/she makes the choice not to follow, or is currently not following.

The Bible says in James 2:19 that "You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror." Being a believer, literally, puts you in the same class as demons & devils! I mean, after all Satan believes in God. Satan believes in Jesus. It's not enough to just call yourself a Christian just because you believe that God/Jesus is real. YOU MUST FOLLOW!!

The word "Christian" translated from the Greek means "to be like Christ." The only way to be like Christ is to follow Christ and imitate Christ. You've got to try to live your life as Christ lived His. Just believing in Christ does not make you like Christ. YOU MUST FOLLOW!!

The writer of Proverbs thought that this was important enough to write it twice. It can be found in Proverbs 14:12 & 16:25 and it says, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." Do you want to be with God in the end? You can't go your own way. YOU MUST FOLLOW!!

That's the sad thing about believers. They go there own way instead of God's way. They think that they are alright just because they believe. But just like the demons and devils that also believe, their path leads to a lake of fire. Don't want to go to hell? YOU MUST FOLLOW JESUS!!

"Ok, Eric. So what's this got to do with sharing your testimony?"

Oh yeah!! Ooops!! Sorry about that rabbit trail!!

Anyways, I shared my testimony with this believer of what God had done for Crystal & I earlier that day. I knew it was important, but I didn't fully understand the importance. I knew that it was more than just being a good witness. There was a reason that God gave me this opperunity. So, I go to God in prayer.

It was at that moment that the Lord shared with me why.

"Eric, it's not that he doesn't believe that I am real. He does! The question is does he believe that I'm there, and if so, do I really care."

Our testimonies really speak to that. To those who are weak in faith, who feel lost & alone, it tells them that God's still a God of miracles, that He is still in the business of doing the impossible, and He does it because of His love for us.

Yes, believer, God's stil there and guess what? He still cares!

Jesus said to me, "There's been times in his life when He's needed me. He looked around & saw that I wasn't there. It wasn't because I left him. He left me. He stopped following Me."

John 12:26 says, "Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me."

It's so funny. We go our own way expecting Jesus to follow us. I guess we expect Jesus to serve us, too. We're the master and He's the slave, right? Is that how it works? I think not.

We already read in Proverbs where it says that there is a way that seems right to a man but in the end leads to death. Jesus is not going to follow you to your death. He's already died for you once. He's not going to do it again.



Believer, if you're looking around your life and you do not see Jesus there, it's because you stopped following Him. You need to repent, turn your life around, and start following Him again.

As for us who claim to follow, we need to be sharing our testimonies with all who call themselves believers so that they might have hope; so that they might be encouraged to follow Him.

We must show them that there is indeed a better way. We need to tell them of God's goodness, grace, mercy, and lovingkindness. We've got to let them know that if God will do it for us, He will do it for them, also.

Our testimony should inspire them to seek God for a way out of their situation and circumstance. They'll seek God, they'll find the Way, the Truth, and the Life--Jesus Christ. And then Jesus will lead them out if they choose to follow Him.

So, go, share your testimony!! Inspire those around you to follow Christ just as you are.

1 comment:

  1. That was awesome Pastor Eric!I have a friend now thats in a similar situation.They believe in God,but they don't really know that God is there and He does care so much! Pray for me please,that I can share my testimony to them and they are encouraged. Sometimes I feel like a complete failure to God,but I know He loves me so much and when I look back I'm reminded of all the junk God has brought me out of! Thank you so so much for this encouraging word Pastor Eric!Keep them coming lol :)

    ReplyDelete