rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Secret to Surrendering - Part 2


So, what do we do about this? How do we fight this?

We use what God has given us: His word.

If you keep reading in Ephesians 6 Paul goes on to talk about the armour of God. Ever piece of the armour serves a purpose defensively, except for one piece: The Sword of the Spirit, which Paul tells us point blank is the Word of God. It's an offensive weapon.

So, how do we use this Sword? Easy. Learn the Word of God & believe it. Apply your faith to it.

When fear tells you that you're always going to be alone, know what God's Word says about that. And instead of attaching your faith to fear's words, attach it to the Word of God & watch as fear's influences begins to get cut off!

Fear tells you that you're always going to be alone. God's Word says in Genesis that it is not good for man to be alone. God's Word tells us that He is ever present. Jesus said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." "My God shall supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." The list can go on & on!! :-)

Back to II Corinthians 10:4. He says, "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds..."

Strong holds are like a fortress. It's all those lies that you've believed about yourself. You see yourself as being unwanted & ugly. Someone tells you that you look pretty. That compliment cannot get through that wall. In otherwords you cannot accept it as truth.

Paul tells us that the weapons of our warfare are mighty to the pulling down of strong holds. The word that Paul uses there in the Greek for the words "pulling down" is the word "kathairesis," which speaks of demolition. In other words when you pull down strong holds by simply appling your faith to God's Word instead of fear it's like blowing the thing up!

Fear doesn't want you to give access to God's Word. That's why it builds up strong holds.

The word "strong hold" in the Greek is "ochyrōma" and it means, "a castle, stronghold, fortress" But it also speaks to "of the arguments and reasonings by which a disputant endeavours to fortify his opinion and defend it against his opponent."

See, the disputant is fear. Fear disputes with you what is truth so that you can believe it's lies.

You are fear's opponent. It's not Jesus. It's not God. It's you! God has given you His Word to use as a weapon against fear, worry, depression, anxiety, lust, greed, etc. Those are the disputants. We oppose them with the Word of God. We're the ones who have to do the fighting to tear down those strong holds that these spirits have built & fortified.

Moving on to II Corinthians 10:5. Paul tells us that the Word of God is mighty unto "casting down imaginations..."

Isn't it funny that when these evil spirits start prophecying to us that we let our imaginations run wild, acting out scenes in our mind of what's going to happen or how something's going to happen. It often plays out like a movie.

The Greek word for "imaginations" here is the word, "logismos", which speaks of reasoning or thought process. It's how we put our thoughts together, like a chain. This is how these evil spirits get us to apply our faith to their words. They simply make the suggestion & then we let our minds run wild until we see things from the point of view that it wants us to see it from.

He also tells us that the Word of God is might unto casting down "every high thing." The word Paul uses here for "high thing" is the Greek word, "hypsōma," which speaks of "elevated structure i.e. barrier, rampart, bulwark." You can look at it as sort of high-minded thoughts, meaning that we can become arrogant or haughty in our thinking when it comes to these issues. In other words: "I'm ugly. I'm unloveable. I'm too picky. This is the way that I'm always going to be. I can't change. Nobody can tell me different."

See the arrogance in that? We're the expert on our own condition & we don't want to believe that anyone or anything can help our condition change for the better.

The Bible says that these "imaginations" & these "high things" exalts themselves against the knowledge of God. Where do we find the knowledge of God? We find the knowledge of God in His Word (aka The Bible.)

In other words these "imaginations" & these "high things" try to make themselves look bigger, badder, & more powerful that God's Word. It plays out like this: "I know God's word says that I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me. And I know that God hasn't given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, & a sound mind. I believe it, but....this is me we're talking about. This sort of thing happens to me everytime. This time won't be any different, so why even bother?!"

You've got the knowledge of God, but you've just let these things that you've imagined or these high minded thoughts exalt themselves against the Word of God! There's only one thing to do from here. Paul says right there at the end of II Corinthians 10:5 - we have to bring into captivity every thought.

Here's where the surrendering comes in.

Surrendering is allowing something to be taken captive by something else with greater power & authority. You have to surrender in order to be captured. Likewise you have to surrender your thoughts in order to bring them into captivity.

What do you surrender them to? You surrender them to the Lord. He's the One who has greater power & greater authority.

Fear tells you one thing. God's word tells you another. Who's the greater authority on the subject? Fear or God? God is. Trust God.

Fear tells you to go left. God tells you to go right. Which way do you go? Sure, it's not easy. Fear paints a picture of what's around the corner if you go right. He doesn't want you to go that way. Your emotions agree with fear. Your emotions "feel" like you should go left.

You take those thoughts captive by making yourself go right anyways. You surrender by no longer fighting, but by giving in to God & His Word. After all, He's given you His word. You can trust Him.

But not only has He given you His word, He's also given you something else. It's another weapon of our warfare, and it's found in Luke 10:19. It's there that Jesus says, "Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you."

Now here's the crazy thing: Jesus uses the word "power" twice in this verse, but he's actually using two different words there that mean two different things.

He says, "Behold, I give unto you power..." That word, "power" in the Greek is the word "exousia," which in short means "authority."

The next time Jesus uses the word power he's talking about the enemy's power or in the Greek "dynamis," which means "power, influence, strength, ability."

So in other words Jesus has given us exousia (authority) over the enemy's dynamis (power)! The enemy's power is not greater than the authority in which Jesus has given to us! So, I can take those thoughts captive. They do have to surrender to the authority in which Jesus has given to me. At that point I can attack these strong holds, imaginations, & every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God with the Word of God, pulling them down, destroying them so that the enemy can't use them again to gain a foot hold in my life.

WOW! What good news!

So, fear - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Depression - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Jealousy - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Addiction - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Dispair - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Hopelessness - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Lust - you have to go in the name of Jesus!

Rage - you have to go in the name of Jesus!
Hatred - you have to go in the name of Jesus!

What troubles you? Call it out by name! Use your authority given to you by Christ! MAKE WAR!!!!




Matthew 11:12 - "...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."

1 comment:

  1. Eric,

    This is what I needed to hear today. So many times I think I can do things on my own. I "turn left" out of fear instead of "turning right" in faith. I try to drive the car ( and as many in Ohio know this time of that can be dangerous especially in garbage conditions, i.e. wrecking your car on an exit ramp because it is solid ice) instead of getting in the passenger seat. I try to do things my way. Its all about me, me, me.
    But there is a glorious and beautiful fact about surrender. The first part of James 4:8 comes to mind which says "Come near to God and he will come near to you."
    A young teenager in youth group last night when asked what this meant told me that the more good things we do and the harder we work, the closer we get to God. Too often we as believers buy into this and think the more bible studies we lead, the more worship services we participate in, the more Bible clubs we associate ourselves with, the more we THINGS we do, we get closer to God....... The truth is usually the opposite. I am by no means saying those are bad things, in fact they are great things, but too often we operate out of obligation or even fear because we want to "do" all the things a "good Christian" does and we think we have to look strong and like we have it together. Truth is, when I operate out of fear or obligation it is when I least have it together. In these instances, I am driving my own car off of a cliff (or off an exit ramp if you will) and landing in a pit of confusion, sadness, depression etc.

    The beautiful thing about surrender is that when I actually give up, submit, pull over and get in the passenger seat etc. It is at that moment that I am closest to God. It is at that moment that I refuse to drive any longer and I give God the drivers seat, the moment when I am broken, beaten, bruised, scarred shattered, depressed, angry, bitter etc. and I simply get on my knees, lift my open hands to the sky and lay all these burdens at the foot of the cross that I am where my Lord and Savior wants me to be. I am closest to God when I surrender, when I admit that I am weak and worthless, when I surrender my selfish agenda for the agenda of the cross i.e. self denial, self sacrifice, persecution and most importantly death of self. This may sound terrible and painful, but the beauty of surrender is that when you die to yourself you find life, you find stength, find happiness, you find peace, you fulfillment.
    "How?" you may ask.
    The "How?" has nothing to do with us. When we surrender we are now controlled by the guy in the driver seat (Jesus). Therefore where we are weak and broken, he is strong. When we are inadequate, he makes us more than good enough. Where we were once horrible failures in life, we are now MORE than conquerors through Christ. Where we were once afraid, he became our peace.
    When we surrender, we find that it is not ourselves living anymore, it is Christ living through us. We become renewed, refreshed and revived. We become victors and we are transformed beyond recognition to the life we had before. God is calling us to surrender for a reason, SO THAT WE CAN BE CLOSE T0 HIM. God is love, God is truth, God is light. Where these things are present, the enemy cannot be. So I encourage you to take Eric's challenge seriously ( I mean I know he is kinda funny looking). But it is more than a challenge, it is a way of life, it is a choice, it is a CALL. The Lord is calling us to his heart and we do this through one glorious action.........
    SURRENDER.

    ReplyDelete