rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites

Friday, July 16, 2010

Behind the Music: Someone's Girl

Right now in my life it seems like more people know me for being a comedian than a serious song writer. It would probably surprise some people to know that in the last 10 years I've written over 40 songs.

Today at work I was thinking about new ways to minister. For some reason I started thinking about those VH1 shows, "Storytellers" & "Behind the Music." I started thinking about my music, & the stories behind each & everyone of the songs.

This songs on their own can minister to alot of people. But if I talk about them in greater detail then they could say a whole lot more.

So, here we go!! Here's the first song in my new Behind the Music series of blogs, called "Someone's Girl."

I wrote this song back in 2009, but emotionally it was birthed at a Christmas party back in 2008.

My wife, Crystal, & I were having a Christmas party for our youth group at church. Everyone was having an awesome time playing games, eating candy. In the middle of it all I had the group sit down. There was 17 kids there, between the ages of 13 to 18 years old, both boys & girls.

As they all sat down, I opened up my Bible & I started reading to them about Joseph. We read how Joseph found out Mary was pregnant, & how he wasn't the real dad of the baby that she was pregnant with. He was going to have her put to death privately, but an angel appeared to him in a dream & told him that the baby that Mary was carrying was the Son of God.

Joseph didn't have her put to death, but instead took her as his wife & raised the child as his own. That baby was Jesus.

As I was telling this story, my eyes kept going back & forth across the room, looking into the eyes of all 17 of these kids. As I looked into their eyes I realized that each & every one of these kids came from a broken home, where there biological dad wasn't in the picture. If he was then he was in & out. And none of these kids' biological dads were Godly men.

I couldn't hold back my tears. Realizing that every single one of these kids were really without a father, it broke my heart!! It was like their dads did not want them. Here I am, unable to have kids of my own!!

It wasn't too long after this revelation that I began seeing more clearly how each of these kids suffered with issues such as rejection, abandonment, lonelyness, fear, anger, bitterness, depression, & fear. It was especially noticeable in the lives of the girls, who tend to wear their emotions on their sleeves a little bit more than the guys do.

There were 2 girls in the youth group who just seemed to torture themselves trying to get their biological dad's attention. He's the type who's constantly bouncing in & out of their lives. He's never taken a real interest in them. Pretty much he doesn't want anything to do with them.

What I wouldn't give to have 2 amazing daughters like that.

So, out of that this song was birthed.





When I play this song live I always dedicate it to dead-beat dads. Jesus said this in Mark 9:42
"And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea."

Dead-beat dads commit offenses to their children when they aren't there. They offend the children mentally, emotionally, & most of all spiritually.

A man is supposed to be the high priest of the home. He's supposed to be there to lead & instruct his children. He's supposed to be there to pray over his kids & to council with them. He's supposed to be a Godly example for the children to follow.

I have a father's heart, & I wish that I could have lots of children. I have a 15 year old stepson. His biological dad has never been in his life. I gladly stepped into that role, & I am very proud of the man of God that my son is becoming.

James 1:27 says this:
"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."

No, these kids aren't orphaned. But to many of them their biological dad might as well be dead. They need father figures. Most of them are already in some sort of distress & they need a father's wisdom, a father's correction, a father's discipline, a father's hug, and most of all a father's love.

1 comment:

  1. Eric, as I told you that night at Ignite, you sang my life story. This song, once again, brought tears to my eyes. I wish I had grown up knowing the love of the Father. I didn't know the love of any father. Maybe I wouldn't have done all the things I did looking for a man to love me. Thank you for loving His children so much to put these words into a beautiful song...Gidget

    ReplyDelete